There are moments when I am struck by a truth that I have believed for a long time, but suddenly it goes into the deepest places of my heart and it becomes truly true. I know it, believe it, and think differently because of it. This morning was one of those times. I had breakfast with a new friend and I realized - people and relationships are the highest commodity. I have believed this for a long time but not felt it like I do now.
Since having a baby my view on the value of life has changed. Life is SO valuable. To cheapen life, to devalue others, to maim, to kill, to harm, these things are appalling and totally contrary to the way things were created to be. Life was made to thrive, to grow, to flourish.
People were made to thrive, to grow, to flourish.
If people (life) is the thing of highest value then my life has to change. All the buzzing around only has value in so much as it opens the ability for me to get to know people and to be known by them. Selfishness is like gambling away money. Devaluing people is like throwing out hundred dollar bills.
What if I do not work to be successful or even to just provide for my family? What if the value of my job comes more in the relationships that I form than in the tasks that I accomplish? What if I earn a living so that I can invite people to a meal?
What if life is about the time we sit and eat together? Like the disciples broke bread together?
From the beginning of the Story, God has made it clear that relationships and life are so very valuable. The Story is about a God who over and over again jumps over the obstacles and destroys the structures that prevent us from being in relationship with Him. He is a God who gives us pictures to help us understand - marriage, families, community, a body.
We are intertwined with humanity. Each person has as much value as I. Each person is so valuable.
May I see how costly life is and may I be aware of the value of each person I encounter. May I not be afraid to risk, to care, to eat with those around me. May my life reflect the great God who is Life and Love and Beauty. And may I grow in my capacity to care, to love, and to value.
No comments:
Post a Comment