Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Stumbling and Bumbling and Finding Your Footing

I have decided that looking for work is one of the most frustrating and demoralizing tasks a person can undertake.  When I look at lists of jobs I feel like all my experience, expertise, and education are totally useless for getting a job that pays enough money.

"Wait..."

I like to have a certain level of control, to be assisting in the process of guiding my own fate.  This season is one in which I am learning to release control - not that I sit around doing nothing, but everything is outside of my control.  I acknowledge that reality.

"Trust..."

So, I check craigslist and many other jobs sites, but to no avail.  Where is the right job for me? I wonder.  I look at all the jobs and wonder if I am qualified to do much at all.

"Hope..."

In the midst of the tumult of change I find myself trying to fix my eyes on Jesus.  I try to be patient, to be hopeful, to trust.... And then my fumbling feet find their footing and I realize that God is more trustworthy than I could imagine.  There is hope and new life.  There are possibilities for which I am uniquely qualified.

I see that we are interconnected, and through those connections doors begin to unlock.  Doors that may even open, allowing me to step through into a new work.

And it looks like this....

The other day I posted a blog and got a response from a pastor in the city where I live.  I am not exactly in Seattle, but live across the lake - on the east side (which is appropriate for this east coast girl).  He gives me his contact information and I get in touch.

We sat and chatted for over an hour.  It turns out this man grew up in St. Joseph and attended boy scouts at Wyatt Park Christian.  He moved out of state when he was 12.  He found out about my blog through a friend in AZ who found it through a friend in St. Joe.  His church may have some open positions in the next few months so I sent him my resume.  Next week I meet with his colleague.

Connections... potential... hope...

Then one night my husband has insomnia.  In his sleeplessness he looks at job postings and finds one that looks perfect for me - teaching early childhood music.  I contact the woman and we meet for coffee.  We hang out for over 2 hours.  She is starting a business, and my knowledge and experience are a perfect fit for her needs.

I came home dancing and skipping through the house.

More hope... more potential...

So I don't know where the path I am on is leading, but my feet are no longer stumbling about.  I have a direction to walk in and that direction is full of hope.  I walk towards Christ and find that he has provided many opportunities on my path, so I will see where he leads.

No comments:

Post a Comment